Cosmetic Dermatology: How Long do Dermal Fillers Last?
Wrinkles are simply a fact of life. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t fight back against the effects of aging on your skin. In addition to keeping your skin healthy and hydrated, there are cosmetic procedures out there that can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on your face, hands, and other areas. Most people have heard of a Botox® injection, but this treatment isn’t the only option for filling out one’s skin and eliminating wrinkles. Injectable dermal fillers are becoming increasingly sought after by both women and men looking to restore their skin’s youthful look. As of now, the two most popular dermal fillers available are Juvederm® and Restylane®.
Anyone interested in these dermal fillers might have several questions about the effectiveness of these treatments. Cosmetic dermatologists are especially used to getting asked, “how long will the results last?” Considering that these treatments don’t always come cheap and are seldom covered by insurance, it’s a fair question to ask. While all dermal fillers are temporary, the exact duration of their results depends on a number of factors, such as the type of filler being used, where it was injected, and the patient’s specific skin type.
That said, dermatologists can still give patients a general idea of how long their dermal fillers will last. Let’s go over the average longevity of Juvederm, Restylane, and other popular fillers.
How Long do Dermal Fillers Last?
Juvederm and Restylane (Hyaluronic Acid Fillers)
Both Juvederm and Restylane are brand names for fillers composed of hyaluronic acid, a substance produced by the body that helps retain hydration in the skin, joints, and tissue. Each brand has multiple subsets of options optimized for different purposes and areas of the skin. The duration of results can vary between each specific filler.
- Juvederm Ultra XC®: primarily used for reducing wrinkles and lines in the face and around the mouth. Results typically last about 9-12 months.
- Juvederm Ultra Plus XC®: aimed more directly towards the mouth area. Results from a single treatment also last about 9-12 months on average.
- Juvederm Volbella®: designed to add volume to the lips, reduce wrinkles surrounding the lips, and revitalize the skin’s appearance underneath the eyes. Results can last between 6 and 12 months.
- Juvederm Vollure®: another option to plump lips, usually with slightly longer-lasting results (between 12 and 18 months on average).
- Juvederm Voluma®: optimal for improving cheek, mid-face, and lower-face volume. Voluma boasts the longest-lasting results at one to two years.
- Restylane-L®: a general-purpose filler for facial wrinkles and lines and to plump lips. This filler usually lasts between 5 and 9 months based on the injection’s location.
- Restylane Defyne®: used to reduce wrinkles around the mouth as well as the area between the nose and mouth. Most results land around 12 months in duration.
- Restylane Lyft® (previously Perlane-L): primarily used for moderate to severe folds surrounding the mouth, as well as increasing cheek volume. These results can last about a year or slightly longer.
- Restylane Refyne®: a close cousin to Defyne but often providing better, more natural results thanks to its softer texture. Refyne also lasts about 12 months on average.
- Restylane Silk®: mainly designed to augment lips and reduce wrinkles and lines around the mouth area. Silk results may only last about 6 months.
Of course, the Restylane and Juvederm families aren’t the only kinds of dermal fillers out there. Let’s examine a few more: Sculptra, Rediesse, and Bellafill.
Sculptra® (Polylactic Acid): Sculptra (or Sculptra Aesthetic) is a brand name for a polylactic acid dermal filler. This type of synthetic filler is designed to stimulate the production of collagen, a protein that gives skin its structure, volume, and elasticity. Sculptra can fill in laugh-lines, augment thin lips, and treat deep skin folds. Unlike hyaluronic acid fillers, results from polylactic acid fillers are more gradual, so patients might not see a difference for months. Multiple treatments over the course of a few months are often required to achieve the best results, but the final outcome can last two years or more.
Radiesse® (Calcium Hydroxylapatite): this filler is composed of calcium hydroxylapatite, a naturally-occurring compound found in human bones. Radiesse can treat moderate to severe creases and folds, including frown lines, increase cheek volume, and even restore the thinning skin on one’s hands. Radiesse also boasts relatively long-lasting results, typically between 18 and 24 months (two years.)
Bellafill® (Polymethyl-Methacrylate Microspheres (PMMA)): Bellafill, the brand name for PMMA injectable dermal fillers, is a semi-permanent solution for reducing wrinkles and restoring the skin’s overall volume and youthful appearance. This collagen-containing filler can also be used to treat certain types of acne scars in some patients. When properly delivered and maintained, Bellafill’s results can be seen immediately after treatment and last up to 5 years or potentially longer as more research is done.
Long-Lasting Anti-Aging for Your Skin
Cosmetic dermatology professionals and researchers are actively seeking better, longer-lasting solutions for eliminating wrinkles, improving skin volume, and restoring patients’ youthful look. As of now, no dermal filler is proven to provide permanent results, but the future looks bright. If you’re considering dermal fillers for your skin, your dermatologist can help you find the best option for your needs and goals. The team at Premier Dermatology Partners is also happy to help and answer any questions you may have regarding dermal fillers.
To learn more about our providers and all the services we offer, contact us today.